Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Devil's in the Details





Having spent most of my design career in the world of publications, I am no stranger to illustrators. In fact, one of the best parts of working on magazines was researching and hiring the right illustrators for particular articles. And if you were lucky, they would send you the original to grace the walls of the office.

My days of shutting down the office at 3am, showing up on Sundays, and wondering why editors take so long to get copy to the design department are long over. But I still love spending time researching illustrators and admiring the work they do. I often wish I could hire them to do some personal work with the hopes of receiving the original for my living room walls instead of the office.

In the last few weeks, I have become (mildly) obsessed with Julia Rothman. Obsessed in a way that I wish she lived next door to me, and came over for tea and a chat every day. Can you imagine having this illustrator covering your entire wall? I can, and it's quite wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment