Thursday, April 14, 2011

Take Two



I'm back. The art store I frequent because of it's proximity to my son's preschool was offering a calligraphy class by a GREAT teacher and I couldn't pass it up. I figured if I could tough out another six weeks of learning then at last I could include my own lettering in my work and even change my design style a bit.

The last class I took (which was a packed class of 2o or so people) felt like torture at times. I think it's because I didn't have kids and didn't appreciate the peace that comes with repeating 3 letters for 3 hours. It's totally different now. I love the quiet, the sound of the pen scratching the paper, and the fluid motion of the copperplate font. I find myself looking forward to it every week, and even finding time to practice when I can (though it's not often).

I sometimes wonder if there is anything quite as beautiful as the simplicity of the line? You can draw emotion with one little stroke. Something to think about.

Hopefully I'll get some more (and more refined) samples up here soon.

1 comment:

  1. LuhOVE your blog, Natasha! And your work. Your note about the simplicity of the line made me think of something Arvo Part, an amazing contemporary composer, said about his work. "I have discovered that it is enough when a single note is beautifully played. This one note, or a silent beat, or a moment of silence, comforts me."
    - Arvo Part

    ReplyDelete